I then reconsidered just buying an M1 iMac as a home computer. Pros
– Good size (24″ not too big for my home office needs)
– Can add second screen if necessary
– M1 processor still is superior to what most Intel desktops are offering – honestly the M1 should be good for several years for most tasks
– Excellent, lightweight design that is easy to move around a home
– Keyboard and trackpad are included (A keypad keyboard and a Magic Trackpad cost $300 to purchase from Apple)
– My model cost $1,659 after factoring in an old MacBook Pro trade in – $59 more than a Studio Display, which doesn’t include a computer, camera or keyboard
So I now have the machine, and it is excellent – awesome screen and webcam, and it looks great and unobtrusive in the home. When I need more screen real estate, I can put an iPad Pro next to it.
Looking at how Apple has increased the prices for basically all of its post M1 computers (including MacBook Pro, Mac Studio, M2 MacBook Air), doesn’t the M1 MacBook Air look like more and more of an excellent value? And who knows if the current design / value will continue? IMO people should be more willing to purchase this machine now than even last year.