If you buy apps for any length of time, the numbers dictate that eventually, you are going to pay for a real stinker. So your thoughts will naturally turn to getting your money back. It is indeed possible to get an Apple App Store refund — in fact, many people say it’s quite easy — but the process is not so obvious and transparent.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
Can I get a refund from the Apple App Store?
Yes, you can get a refund from the Apple App Store. But there will be rare occasions when it won’t be possible.
- If you are told when buying an app, that you lose the right to a refund if you start using it within a certain time window, you likely won’t get the money back.
- If you request a refund for an e-book after a certain amount of time has passed, the request will likely be rejected. The Books app is not a lending library, people. Authors need to eat too.
- If you ask for a refund months after playing a game, they will likely wonder why it’s taken you months to decide the game is bad enough to ask for your money back.
- If you have a long history of asking for refunds, they may start to say no.
So, in other words, to maximize your chances of getting an App Store refund:
- Don’t open the e-book (if that’s what you bought.) That makes the whole “my kid accidentally bought it” story more credible.
- If it’s an app or game, try and ask for a refund within the first 24—48 hours of buying it. After that, it just starts to look as if you are angling for a free trial.
- Don’t make a habit of asking for too many refunds. If you start to gain a reputation, it’s hard to shake off. If your child likes to hit Buy buttons, restrict their access to the Buy button.
How to get an Apple App Store refund
To get an App Store refund, do the following:
Go to https://reportaproblem.apple.com/. You will be asked to log into your iCloud account. On the next page, drop down the menu and select Request a refund. Now click the blue Next button.
On the next page, give a reason for your refund request. If you’d rather not say, select Other.
Finally, you will get a list of your recent transactions. Choose the one you want a refund on, then click the Submit button. Apple supposedly responds to your request within 48 hours.