As Samsung builds up to their next-gen S11 flagship, the specs of their imminent upper-midrange S10 Lite (and probably Note 10 Lite) have leaked with a blend of flagship and midrange.
Samsung‘s next-gen 2020 flagship Galaxy S11 series featuring next-gen chipsets and cameras are mere months away but that hasn’t stopped Samsung from curiously planning a launch of slightly more budget-friendly variants of their 2019 flagships, and only a couple days ago we got our first leaked look at the Note 10 Lite.
Until now, though, we weren’t quite sure what specs to expect from the two value-flagships, but the same colleagues who leaked the renders of the Note 10 Lite have now found out the specs of the S10 Lite – which are likely identical to the Note 10 Lite – and they are an interesting blend of Samsung’s flagship and midrange components.
- The S10 Lite (and Note 10 Lite) will use the same 2019 flagchip Snapdragon 855 as their premium brethren, even in Europe where Samsung typically use their own Exynos chips, apparently.
- The two phones both start with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of ROM – just like their premium brethren barring the S10E which features only 6GB of RAM – with microSD expandability.
- The S10 Lite (and probably Note 10 Lite) will feature a 48MP (12MP binned) F/2.0 primary sensor, probably the Sony IMX586 but it could be Samsung’s slightly inferior own 48MP sensor. This sensor will also feature the fascinating new ‘Tilt OIS (tOIS)’ image stabilisation which can slightly tilt the camera to compensate for movement. The S10 and Note 10 families both stuck with classic 12MP F/1.5-2.4 sensors so we will finally see which sensor is better.
- The S10 Lite (and probably Note 10 Lite) will feature a 12MP F/2.2 ultrawide sensor, just like all S10 and Note 10 phones.
- The S10 Lite (and probably Note 10 Lite) will feature a final 5MP F/2.4 ‘Macro’ sensor for taking close-up photos. This is in comparison to the 12MP F/2.2 2x zoom sensors used on all other Samsung S10 and Note 10 phones, and is probably a bit less useful (and far lower quality).
- The S10 Lite (and probably Note 10 Lite) will feature a single, centred-cutout 32MP (8MP binned) F/2.2 selfie camera, versus the lopside-cutout 10MP F/1.9 units on the S10 and Note 10 families.
- The S10 Lite (and quite possibly Note 10 Lite) will feature mammoth 4500mAh batteries with 45W super-fast charging while remaining only 8.1mm thick.
- Finally, the S10 Lite will apparently launch at a price of approximately $650US, a $100 discount from the probably-inferior but also smaller S10E’s RRP.
The specs all look pretty great and are a mix of Galaxy S10/Note 10 and A90, but they will be outdated very soon which makes the price the factor governing whether the S10 Lite and Note 10 Lite will be good deals, and not just good phones (which they will be); and unfortunately, at $650 the handsets just do not compete with their more premium brethren which have seen price cuts placing the S10 at the same $650 price-point.
All will be officially unveiled within a couple weeks though, I must assume, so we shall find out all then – who knows, perhaps Samsung could surprise us?